Re: i830 revisited (recent CVS build)

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 06:57:01PM +0200, Martin van Es wrote:
>Hi,
>
>First I'd like to thank Jens for his patient answer to my last question
>:)
>
>I managed to successfully build a recent (23/10/2002) build of the X CVS
>tree and see great improvements on the support of my chipset (well,
>looking at the XFree86.0.log at least).
>
>This posting cuts 2 ways: My XFree86.0.log is included for developers as
>reference material. I hope it helps ;)
>Second: Can anybody comment on my questions?
>
>The size of my screen is now correctly recognised (1400x1050) but alas,
>the driver still resorts to the known VESA resolutions (1280 x 1024).

Yes, because your video BIOS doesn't have a 1400x1050 mode, and the
driver can only program modes that are provided by your video BIOS.
It's unfortunate that vendors who ship 830-based laptops with 1400x1050
panels don't add such a mode to their video BIOS.

>Is that the long list of modes I see coming by now?

They are all of the video BIOS graphics modes.

>What do the asterisks mean for some of the found modes?

It means the mode matches the depth you're running at, and is available
for use with your configuration.

>Is the line "Not using mode "1400x1050" (no mode of this name)" based on
>the fact that no mode called "1400x1050" passes by during the mode
>probing part? Or is it something I can help in the Configuration file?

If it doesn't show up in the mode probing part, it isn't available.

>I read somewhere that if linux boots in a different mode than what I
>want to drive it under X, modelines are required in the XFConfig file?
>The monitor I choose (generic 1400x1050) does not add modelines in the
>XFConfig file...

The X server has a set of built-in modelines -- all of the standard VESA
modes, plus a few other common ones (including 1400x1050@60Hz and
1400x1050@75Hz).  You only need to add modelines to the config files if
you want to use modes that aren't built-in.  For most applications the
built-in set is sufficient.

David