Re: Colormap Allocation problems under Linux 7.3

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:47:42PM -0400, Wojciech Kasprzak wrote:

> > I do not think that XFree cvs will solve allocation pbs in general. If
> > you start your server with XRender (which allocate "only" 85 colors)
> > and then start, says, a kde application (without limiting the colors
> > to 64) then almsot surly all the colours will be allocated. So your
> > application will be unusable without a private cmap. About read-only
> > color in PseudoColor mode, I suggest to take the more close colour in
> > the used colormap if XAllocColor fail.
> >
> > Regards, Olivier
> >

>  Olivier,
>
>  Thanks for advice. I have tested a private colormap,
> but I would prefer to use the system map. The "NoRenderExtension"
> option in the nvidia driver makes it possible, but I still need
> to close other system apps to get started (Konqueror is a real
> killer). You suggest "limiting the colors to 64" in KDE apps.
> I'd like to try it. How/where do I set this limit?

Hum ... I was maybe a bit optimistic:

[olivier@snoopy olivier]$ konqueror --help-qt
 << SNIP >>
  --cmap                    Causes the application to install a private color
                            map on an 8-bit display.
  --ncols <count>           Limits the number of colors allocated in the color
                            cube on an 8-bit display, if the application is
                            using the QApplication::ManyColor color
                            specification.

Unfortunately, it does not seem that --ncols works here for KDE apps
(maybe a K developer can comment on this). The --cmap option works :o/
Maybe adding one line in the good config file will allow color limitation
in KDE. I think this possible with GTK (do not how) and FVWM.

Regards, Olivier