Re: Re: [Dri-devel] r200 and libxaa

Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2002, Michel Dänzer wrote:

>>>Can anyone on Xpert comment on XAA binary incompatability?  Does this
>>>just affect Forward compatability, i.e. older X environments with newer
>>>binary drivers?
>>
>>The problem appeared when I merged radeon driver fixes by Kevin E.
>>Martin from XFree86 CVS to DRI CVS. They involved adding new fields to
>>the XaaInfoRec struct; the fact that they were added in the middle of
>>that struct caused the DRI binary snapshots, which were built against
>>the new version of that struct but ran with an XAA module built against
>>the old version, to crash and burn. I moved the new fields to the end of
>>the struct, bumped the minor XAA version and added code to the radeon
>>driver to only access the new fields if it's dealing with the new XAA.
>>That worked as expected when I tested it here by copying libxaa.a from
>>my Debian 4.2 installation into my DRI tree, which makes me suspect that
>>the remaining problem with the snapshots is due to toolchain
>>incompatibilities or something along those lines.
>>

>    I don't know why people do this.  This change just broke NVIDIA's
> and ATI's binary drivers too.  Any changes to structures that are
> referenced by drivers need to go at the end of the structures.

Mark,

I'd like to see driver level binary compatability continue, too.  I'm
not certain if Michael's changes have made it back to XFree86's CVS.  I
posted to this thread (and copied Xpert) because I read some posts to
dri-devel that implied Michel's fixes weren't enough to restore driver
compatability (old drivers, new XFree86 core and modules).  If I'm
mistaken, please let us know.

--
                                /\
          Jens Owen            /  \/\ _