Chips & Technologies Driver

I have a toshiba laptop which uses a CT65555 controller, and am trying to
figure out which files are used in the X 4.2.0 source to put together the
chips_drv.o driver. I want to try to optimize it for my laptop as the
performance is actually better using the vesa driver with linux, however, I
cannot set the resolution to the native lcd res. of 1024x600 with vesa. I
have found a chips.c and chips.h in xc\programs\Xserver\hw\kdrive\chips
along with a couple other files. My main question really, is how the driver
functions. Where do commands originate, and where are they being written to
the card? Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks !

 - Pete