horiz. lines showing up on s3virge

I am having the same problem with my S3Virge card
(Diamond 3D 2000).  Problem started when I installed
Slackware with XFree86 version 4.2.0.

You can get rid of the horizontal lines by switching
to the 'vesa' driver instead of the 's3virge' driver.
Problem with that is 'vesa' is too slow and doesn't
support resolutions higher than 1024x768 at least on
my card.

When using the 's3virge' driver, I tried enabling and
disabling all options and didn't get any positive
results.

Thanks for any help,
-Dmitriy