Compaq Laptop Armada E500

I'm installing SuSE 8.1 on this laptop,  everything is fine and detected
correctly, but when the system reboots,  the screen goes white and then
fades out.  I have to connect the laptop to a monitor and press function f-4
a few times and then screen comes up on the LCD and I can disconnect the
monitor.  Everything is fine until the next reboot.   I get the loading
kernel ok,  it's when it switches to X that the problem happens, which is
why I suspect the video drivers.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Scott Simmons