Using an X server remotely.

I am currently doing a project on an embedded single-board computer (586 based). It has 64MB RAM, 4GB HDD, a serial port and a ethernet port. Note it has no direct hardware support for a monitor, mouse, keyboard etc.

The source code for the project is stored locally on the HDD and is compiled locally using GCC 3.2.7. No problem.

I have installed Redhat 7.2 and currently develop code by 'telnet'ing in and using vi to edit the source code. Yuk.

I have recently installed cygwin on my 'normal' desktop PC (Windows XP on Athlon 1500) and would like to start X on the target embedded computer. That way I can develop on my desktop PC using the cygwin X-client and use emacs instead.

When I telnet into the embedded computer and run 'startx' I get
Fatal server error :
fs86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such device)

Yet /dev/tty0 does exist ! It is mapped to the local serial port and works fine. I have a bash shell running on it !

I did remember to edit my startx script so that xinit is being called as follows :
xinit /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc -- :192.168.1.3:0 -auth /root/.Xauthority

How can I get X to start without needing a local console ?
I would like all I/O to be directed to my Windows PC and not to local hardware.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian