RE: Radeon 7500 not in list of cards

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Villafane, Pedro M SGT (88 DCS, G6) wrote:
>> brakobak wrote:
>>
>> I just installed a Radeon 7500 in my computer. I
>> updated XFree86 to ver 4.2.1.  When I run Xconfigurator the Radeon 7500
>> is not in the list of cards to choose from even though the README says
>> it is supported. How can I get this card to work?

> Use XFree 3.X.X  I did it with an old Packard Bell 486 DX 2  The video
> adapter was listed but it did not work at all.  So I use the midnight
> commander and unzipped the XFree 3.x.x file and removed the 4.8  Now it
> works like champ with sound and all the goodies!

Don't use XFree86-3.x.x it does not support the full DRI options available
for fully supported cards such as the Radeon 7500.  Ask someone on this
list with a Radeon7500 to post their XF86Config, copy it and then check
the /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see if there are any errors.  Possibly you
need to update Xconfigurator also?  What distro are you using?
(Xconfigurator is a RH specific tool AFAIK and in their latest distro
release, 8.0, they've dropped it in favour of redhat-config-xfree86).

Oisin Feeley