From: newbie-admin@XFree86.Org [mailto:newbie-admin@XFree86.Org] On
Behalf Of Jeff Bearer
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 2:10 PM
To: newbie@XFree86.Org
Subject: RE: Laptop Mouse Weirdness

David,

	Thanks for your reply, my laptop has 2 scroll buttons, that are
supposed to work like the wheel.  they work in Windows, and I've read
from a few write ups on linux-laptop.net that you just need to configure
them as a wheel mouse with the Zaxis mapping.

http://mobilix.org/toshiba_sp4600.html#ToC13

But anytime I try to use the IMPS/2 protocol the pointer freaks out.

I'll have to give a USB mouse a try, I found a P2/2 to USB mouse adapter
and tried using a old (never meant to be used with USB) PS/2 mouse and I
couldn't get it to show up at all on the system.  Are USB capable PS/2
mice different than a standard PS/2 mouse?

This probably isn't the right place for the next question, but if I'm
going out to buy a mouse, will I be able to utilize all the buttons that
are on some mice, or should I stick with a 2 button wheel mouse?

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 06:33, David C. Diemer wrote:
> Jeff:
>
> Ditto on that.  I have a Dell with a TrackPoint AND a TouchPad as well
> as the PS/2 port in the back where I used to plug-in my wheel mouse.
> setup my X to use the wheel mouse because that's what I used 90% of
the
> time.  It's when I went to the computer room to do some
troubleshooting
> with my laptop that I ran into your problem.  I had no place for a
mouse
> so I was forced to use the TouchPad or TrackPoint and it was pretty
> weird.
>
> The problem lies with the fact that the wheel mouse uses virtual mouse
> buttons 4 and 5 to perform wheel operations that are simply not there
> for the TouchPad / TrackPoint.  Also, the PS/2 device typically
emulates
> a 3rd mouse button using the same virtual mouse buttons that the wheel
> mouse uses (ZAxisMapping "4 5").  So, there are two possibilities: 1)
> don't use a wheel mouse so you won't use the ZAxisMapping option (not
> what you're looking for) or 2) don't use 3-button emulation on your
> TouchPad / TrackPoint (better).
>
> You may still experience problems with plugging-in or unplugging the
> external mouse while in X.  Unfortunately, X isn't Plug-n-Play so it
> won't recognize that you've switched mice.  You must restart X
> (Ctl-Alt-Backspace) AFTER you plug-in or unplug your mouse.
>
> But I may have a better answer: use two different mice: an external
USB
> wheel mouse along with the built-in TrackPoint / TouchPad (I have a
Dell