Re: Supporting LINUX on sparc Ultra 10

Keith R Kilby wrote:
> Laurent
>
> Thanks for that. The Sunsolve reference was one I had not seen and was
> useful. However, the problem is when I let the linux anaconda handle the
> new graphic card it is prompting for an "XFree86 SUN24 rpm" which I have
> not been able to locate I suspect it may be in the XFree86_3.3.6 rpm it
> certainly is not mentioned for the latest release, but the docs are not
> clear.

 From the XFree doc, Sun hardware was not supported at all in 3.3.6, so
I think you're definitely right with 4.2.1.
Since I'm not using Linux myself, I'm not too aware of how XFree and its
drivers are packaged, so I can't help you much there...

> I have tried to install the latest XFree86 V4.2.1 but that did not seem
> to work; the system blanked the screen when I typed startx and some disc
> activity took place but no screen displayed, control alt backspaced to
> kill Xserver it worked and went back to command line terminal. Perhaps
I'm not sure how GNU/Linux and XFree would manage those, or if there is
some hardware configuration to use either framebuffer.
Theorically, XFree would be able to manage both.
 From what you've said, it seems X is starting, if it had failed, you
would probably have come back on the command line, or with a stuck system.
A possibility is that it's configured to use a resolution/frequency not
supported by the screen itself.
Is it a Sun monitor or a PC one ?

> my understanding of the anaconda process was in error, the system
> prompted for the CDROM 1 first, then asked for the ATI Rage drivers
> again. The Creative card is not based on the ATI Rage chip set or is it?

The ATI chipset is the one on the motherboard, it's called PGX, and only
used for 2D framebuffer, though it does have 3D capabilities.
The Creator3D is using another chipset, I think from Sun.
I've seen one once, it didn't look like anything PC :-)
And absolutely not from Creative, even if the name looks like it ;-)
In your case, the install process might have detected both framebuffers
and installed their drivers.

> If I get it working I certainly will post results.
>
> Thanks and regards
> Keith

Laurent