pb with xdm and gnome

Hi,

I have two problems :

1 - when I launch xdm my Xressources file is ignored and the login window
keep coming back in loop. I perhaps misconfigured Xservers. I run XFree on a
local i386 with FreeBSD 4.4, multiuser set on. In Xservers I entered the
following line:

:0	bsdbox	local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

I cannot use Xwrapper either (it freezes at the cross), and xinit refuses to
launch on non-root account so I'm forced to log as root anyway.

Running xauth I get the message: unable to open display :0. Leaving KDE xauth
complains about removing the display: bad display name bsdbox:0

2 - KDE is working great and Gnome was, till I tried launching several window
managers from the Control center. After having run Enlightenment and coming
back to Sawfish, all the text in the menus and dialogs as well as the Control
center had been replaced by little squares.

Since then I upgraded XFree to XFree-4 (from the ports) but it did not change
this (I don't see any change at all anyway with my previous version of XFree:
did the new one replace it (after make install) or have I to do something
else to enable it?).

I thank you in advance for your help,

E. Rens