Re: Strange Problem, Can't move windows

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Kirk Patton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am having a very strange problem and am trying to
> pinpoint what exactly is going wrong.
>
> After upgrading my system from RH 7.2 to RH 7.3, I
> noticed that after a while, I would be unable to move
> any windows.
>
> I tried switching windows managers and the problem
> persisted.  I tried different user accounts and the
> problem persisted.  I reconfigured X and changed
> resolutions, problem persisted.  Reinstalled XFree86
> and the problem persisted.
>
> I can reproduce the problem by opening up really large
> image files in the Gimp.  The monitor will go blank
> like it is not getting a signal or like power
> management has kicked in.  I can wake it back up by
> moving the mouse.  But once it has gone blank, I can
> no longer move windows.
>
> If I reboot, the problem disappears for a while.
>
> Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this?  Any
> suggestions on how I can further debug the problem?

Do /var/log/XFree86.0.log or /var/log/messages  show anything unusual?  It
does sound like a driver error.  You don't specify what card and drivers
you're using.  Maybe someone else with the same card would pick up on your
message more quickly if you titled it "Card X, large window
blanking/freezing".

Oisin Feeley