Re: Send Mail from PHP Using SMTP Authentication

On 4/13/2010 2:54 PM, Alice Wei wrote:
I tried installing the Pear Mail package, it is now located in

php/PEAR/Mail, and my code is located in the htdocs. Here is the code:

$host = "smtp.att.yahoo.com";
Although you have other problems (see below) this is unlikely to work. When sending email, you need to either authenticate yourself with the server, or use an SMTP server in your local domain (which *may* accept all mail without authentication). This will be a mail server run by your ISP.

Given your email address domain (iu.edu) you should probably try mail.iu.edu or smtp.iu.edu, or just ask your local administrator where you should be sending email, and if you need to authenticate.

All that said, you define $host, but don't seem to use it anywhere. I've never used the Pear Mail package, so can't tell you where that should go.
Fatal error:  Class 'Mail' not found in C:\xampp\htdocs\Alice.Wei\web\mail.php
>set the PEAR path to your include_path in your php.ini

I did have that. I have include_path = ".;C:\xampp\php\PEAR;". Do I have to physically type in pear install Mail to install the Mail package here?
Did you restart the web server after changing that? Changes to the server php.ini won't get picked up until a restart.

  Toby