Re: req: help with mail on IIS 6

2009/11/3 dot net noob <noob@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 22:19:53 GMT Niel Archer <not@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>
>> > Hi All: Just joined the list.
>> >
>> > I'm having problems configuring mail in PHP. I have PHP 5.2.9 installed on
>> > server 2003 std with sp2 installed. The default SMTP service is running.
>> > I'm running Wordpress without any problems, except for configuring mail.
>> >
>> > My php.ini file looks like:
>> >
>> > [mail function]
>> > ; For Win32 only.
>> > ;smtp = localhost
>> > ;smtp = 127.0.0.1
>> > smtp = 192.168.1.6
>> > smtp_port = 25
>> >
>> > ; For Win32 only.
>> > sendmail_from = me@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>> >
>> > I've tried each of the three server addresses above, and none of them work.
>> >
>> > If I try to run a simple test like:
>> >
>> >     <?php
>> >     $to = "me@xxxxxxxxxxxx";
>> >     $subject = "Test mail";
>> >     $message = "Hello! This is a simple email message.";
>> >     $from = "me@xxxxxxxxxxxx";
>> >     $headers = "From: $from";
>> >     mail($to,$subject,$message,$headers);
>> >     echo "Mail Sent.";
>> >     ?>
>>
>> $headers must be terminated by "\r\n"
>
> Thanks Neil...I went back to the php.net docs for "mail" and picked up their
> example, with this syntax:
>
> <?php
> $to      = 'you@xxxxxxx';
> $subject = 'Test mail';
> $message = 'hello';
> $headers = 'From: me@xxxxxx' . "\r\n" .
> mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);
> ?>
>
> (I've replaced the actual "to" and "from" to dummy addresses)...still doesn't
> work...I don't get an error when running the script, but no mail is sent.
>

> --

Can you telnet to port 25 on the server hosting the SMTP service?

Use something like Wireshark to watch what actually happens?

Does the mail() call return true or false?

Can you upgrade to PHP 5.30 and try setting the mail.log [1]?

Regards,

Richard.

[1] http://docs.php.net/manual/en/mail.configuration.php#ini.mail.log

--