Re: Wine registration email - system failure

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 5:51 AM, dimesio <wineforum-user@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> ]It means that spam that appears on the Wine users mailing list is being
>> input through web forum software at Codeweavers.
>>

>> General consensus seems to be that keeping spammers out of forums is the
>> best approach. I can't recall getting spam from a mail list or forum
>> that uses an e-mail challenge/response system as part of the sign-up
>> process.
>
> You've gotten spam from this one, and the signup process clearly includes an email challenge/response--that's what this
> poster is having a problem with. In addition, to weed out bots, the signup process requires the person to answer a question
> about the history of the Wine project.
> The reality is that our spammers are real human beings, and there's no way to prevent them from signing up without
> blocking legitimate users too.

We could require a 30 minute cool-down period where posters have the
ability to look through the Applications Database and to scan the
forums before posting.  This should not discourage a legitimate user
but will discourage spammers.

> Not long ago Dan mentioned in a thread (I forget which one) that the forum software is going to be upgraded to a version with
> better spam control features. Maybe that will help.

Dan asked about updating to a newer version of PHPBB.  It has better
anti-spam 'stuff'.

In the meantime, both Dan and I are looking to see where spam is
coming from and if needed blocking IPs.  If the IP address could be
captured and relayed to us before deleting messages from the forum, we
would appreciate it.  We are also actively taking actions to censor
spammed web sites so that the links no longer work when subsequent
spam runs are made.  The best action to prevent spammers is to show
that the site is actively maintained and watched.

And thank you for the explanation that the Forums are echoed into a
mailing list and messages from the mailing list are placed in the
appropriate place in the forums.

James