Re: Running programs in Wine 32 vs 64

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 17:15 -0500, Lockheed wrote:
> Is there any advantage in running programs within wine 64 bit over 32
> bit? Is there a speed advantage for programs like Photoshop, or movie
> editors, or is it same difference?

There's a reasonable summary of 32 bit vs. 32 bit PAE vs 64 bit (X86-64) here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64 which says that if a given program
is compiled as both 32 bit and 64 bit modes, the 64 bit version *may* be
faster.

My take on this is that whether there is a speed increase depends on how
the compiler uses the extra registers (64 bit CPUs have 16 general
purpose registers compared with the 8 in a 32 bit chip) to optimise the
generated code and whether any speed-up from this optimisation offsets
the performance hit from reading the bigger binary (remember that
pointers are now 8 bytes compared with 4) and the consequent increase in
cache misses, which may also be offset by the 64 bit chips using bigger
caches. However, read that article for yourself, follow up its
references and make your own mind up about it. Personally, I think it
depends on the nitty gritty of what what the program is doing and
whether it ever does 64 bit calculations (not many programs do).

There is an obvious assumption in the above that the clock speeds, core
count and the number of threads per core will be the same in both cases,
in other words, if you switch from a 32bit PAE Linux distro to the same
release and patch state of the corresponding 64 bit Linux distro ON THE
SAME HARDWARE how much difference will you notice?

If a hardware change is also involved, IOW the 64 bit chip is faster
and/or has more cores and/or each core handles more parallel threads
then OF COURSE the 64 bit chip will be quicker and thats without even
considering the effect of an upgraded motherboard, quicker disks or a
more capable graphics card.

Martin