Re: Alternative to windows media player?

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 14:22 -0600, omro wrote:

> > Windows VLC: Get the Windows package as described above. If your app
> is in the default Wine prefix (.wine) simply install it there too. If
> you used a different prefix to install your app, make sure you use the
> same prefix when you install VLC.

> The windows version of this software installed without a hitch in
> Wine. However, the training application throws up the following error
> when I try and use it without media player installed at all:
>
> This product may require a newer version of Windows Media Player OLE
> Error 80040154

Looks like the thing is hardwired to use WMP, so you may be snookered.

The only thing that occurs to me is to rename VLC so it masquerades as
WMP, but since the app is using OLE to launch it, I suspect that won't
work either. You may have to use Windows, running on its own PC, as a
dual-boot installation, or run under Linux in a VM.

Martin