VOLCANO: Reminder AGU 2011 Session: V02 100 Years of Observing Hawaiian Volcanoes

Reminder AGU 2011 Session: V02 100 Years of Observing Hawaiian Volcanoes
From: Michael P Poland <mpoland@xxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

This is just a reminder for AGU session V02, "100 Years of Observing Hawaiian Volcanoes".  The session welcomes all presentations related to Hawaiian volcanism, including how studies in Hawaii have aided understanding of other volcanoes on Earth and elsewhere in the solar system.  Our goal is to use the Centennial of the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory as an opportunity to review the current state of knowledge of Hawaii's volcanoes, while also highlighting future research directions.

We look forward to seeing you in San Francisco!

Session Description:

In January 1912, Thomas Jaggar established the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO) at Kilauea Volcano for the purpose of conducting systematic geological and geophysical monitoring to better understand volcanic processes and mitigate volcanic catastrophes around the world. HVO’s approaching Centennial provides an opportunity to review the current knowledge of Hawaiian volcanism based on geophysical, geological, and geochemical data collected over the past 100 years. In particular, we encourage submissions of multidisciplinary research of large-scale problems, for instance, flank instability, magma storage and transport, and eruption dynamics, as well as examples of how research in Hawaii has informed studies of other volcanoes around the world.

Conveners:

- Jim Kauahikaua
- Tim Orr
- Jeff Sutton