VOLCANO: Goldschmidt Conference 2011 Session 09f: Linking the Plutonic and Volcanic Records

Goldschmidt Conference 2011 Session 09f: Linking the Plutonic and Volcanic Records
From: Val Troll <valentin.troll@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

The 2011 V.M. Goldschmidt Conference will be held in Prague, Czech Republic, on August 14 - 19, 2011. The session programme for this meeting has now been published on www.goldschmidt2011.org and the abstract submission has also opened.

We would like to draw your attention to Session 09f:

"Linking the Plutonic and Volcanic Records: Textural and Geochemical Fingerprinting of Magma Chamber Processes"

www.goldschmidt2011.org/themes

It has long been recognised that felsic and mafic plutons are relics of former magma storage reservoirs that provide us with a snapshot of igneous processes at deeper levels within the Earth’s crust. Often, however, the multitude of phenomena recorded there (e.g. assimilation, magma mixing, fractional crystallization and crystal accumulation as well as post-cumulus modification) is increasingly recognised in the volcanic record as well, with the concept emerging that many crystals found in lavas and tuffs seem to be out of equilibrium with their host-liquids, i.e. they are derived from earlier melt batches or have been recycled in some form from deep seated contact aureoles. The spectrum of processes recorded in the textural and compositional (especially isotopic) variations in crystals and megacrysts found in volcanic rocks thus necessitates an integrated approach to volcanic and plutonic phenomena. This session hopes to bring together a full spectrum of contributions ranging from field studies, through textural investigations, experimental approaches, petrological and geochemical work (esp. isotope approaches) to numerical modelling. The key goal being to further our comprehension of crustal magma evolution and to explore the links between deep-seated magma reservoirs and erupted products. This in turn will help improve our understanding of the ‘volcano-magma’ system as a whole, with considerable consequences for crustal evolution and hazard assessment.

Keynote: Olivier Bachman (Univ Wash, USA)
Invited speaker: Chris Harris (Univ Cape Town, South Africa)
Convenors: Vojtech Janousek, Valentin Troll and  Abigail Barker

If you are working in this general area, we would be pleased to see your contribution.  Abstract submission should follow the instructions given at:
http://www.goldschmidt2011.org/abstracts/instructions

Abstract submission will remain open until 15th April 2011.

We look forward to seeing you in Prague!
Best regards,
Vojtech Janousek
Valentin Troll
Abigail Barker