From: Philip Herlihy [mailto:philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 5:23 PM
To: 'John Cunniff'; vnc-list@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: VNC v4.1.2 and XFINITY Modem

Ok - that's clear.

A router is a bit like a transformer.  While a transformer has high voltage
on one side, and low voltage on the other, a router has 'public' (or
'external') Internet addresses on one side (accessible from anywhere) and
'private' ('local' or 'internal') addresses on the other (accessible only
within the local network).  So when you connect from the kitchen, you need
to use the 'local' address beginning 10.0.0.whatever, and when you're in the
coffee shop or school campus, you'll need to know the 'public' address (and
have port-forwarding working).  The problem is, that your public address
usually changes from time to time (look up DHCP or Dynamic Addressing if you
want to know more about this).  When you're at home, try running ipconfig in
a command window, to see the local address that the computer has (it will
begin 10.0.0.something on your network).  Then visit the website
www.whatismyip.com, and you'll see the current public IP address.
Different!  To solve the problem of changing public addresses, you can get
your service provider to give you a fixed or static address (charges usually
apply) or you can use a dynamic dns service, like no-ip.com.  All these
things take a while to get your head around, so if you can get a
knowledgeable friend to fix it up for you then you can concentrate more on
the stuff you care about!  But I hope that's given you something to be going
on with.

If you really want to understand all this, it'll be important to get your
head around dynamic addressing.  The computers on your local network will be
issued with an address by the router, so they will all have related
addresses (probably starting 10.0.0.*  - some routers use 192.168.1.* or
192.168.0.*  - these specific address ranges are *only* used for private
local networks).  On the public-facing side, your router will (usually) be
issued with an address, in broadly the same way, by your service provider,
but this is likely to change every time you restart your router.  These
"leases" last for a certain amount of time.  On the local side, the lease
may be an hour or a day (although most routers let you adjust this period,
or even fix the address a particular machine gets every time).  On the
public side, the service provider will usually give only a very short lease
- zero minutes, even.  So you need to get them to assign a "static" address
(for a few dollars a month, £5 in the uk is typical) or use a Dynamic DNS
service to help you keep track of that changing address.

There are other systems, some of them free for home users, which use a smart
server up there in the cloud to avoid all this complexity.  Logmein is one
such, I believe, and there are others (GoToMyPC?).  Might suit you well,
perhaps.

Good luck!

Philip Herlihy
Email: 	 Philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx