RE: VNC server stops responding after a few days

I've missed a few episodes of this drama, so hope I'm not going over old
ground.  I don't think you're doing enough to distinguish problems with VNC
server from general network problems.  When the machine(s) are not
responding are you able to ping them?  (You may need to "allow echo" on the
server firewall's ICMP tab, and you may be able to ping directly from the
router's diagnostic interface, if you can access that externally.)  However,
you can test just as well with a VNC viewer on a machine on the same local
network.  Is the network interface set to wake the machine if a connection
is made?  Turning off standby might be a good option.

If you run ipconfig /all in a command window you'll see useful DHCP stats,
including the date/time any DHCP lease was obtained.  For anything acting as
a server you're better off with a static IP (or a reserved DHCP address).
Reduce the DHCP range or "scope" to leave room at either end for a few
static IPs, and use one of those for this type of machine.  Netscan.exe from
softperfect.com is a good free network scanner which might help you spot
issues.

You're not using wireless, are you?  To be avoided if possible.

Check in Task Manager - if Peak Commit Charge becomes greater than Physical
Memory, the machine will have been paging out idle processes, and this might
include VNC server or maybe (?) networking components.

Philip Herlihy