RE: Need to move my mouse to refresh VNC session

-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:vnc-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Marty Piorkowski
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:57 PM
To: vnc-list@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Need to move my mouse to refresh VNC session

Hi,

During a VNC session, when I type something in an X-term window, nothing
appears until I move my mouse a little.  Moving the mouse is required to
see
what has transpired on the VNC screen.  Any thoughts on to what this
might
be?

Thanks,
Marty

Marty:

Do U happen to be using Cygwin xterms with a 'multiwindow' Xserver
on a Windows machine?

I use Cygwin tools on my MSWindows machines, and use all the
defaults for startxwin.exe to start the Xserver, which starts up
in multiwindow mode.  I used to use 'fullscreen' mode, in which
the Xserver never had any update problem (and still doesn't, when
I can get it running), but fullscreen mode seems not to be supported
by startxwin.exe any longer (I haven't checked the source code
yet, though).  When started using the older bash script, the Xserver
doesn't start up reliably (I think that's why the maintainer
switched to an executable), so I don't use fullscreen mode any
more.  In multiwindow mode, all the X-based tools often seem to
need a keystroke or a mouse wiggle to update when they first gain
focus.  I'm not sure if this is due to X resources, the Xserver
itself, or the Cygwin port of the X packages, but it's a place to
start looking.

Thx, Phil Long

Goss ... Innovation for Business

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and proprietary information of Goss International Corporation and/or its subsidiaries and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or other use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. No contract may be construed by this e-mail.