Re: VNC response depends on screen response

On 15-6-2010 17:59, Seak, Teng-Fong wrote:
>       It seems that VNC response depends on screen response, ie VGA
> card's speed.  I think VNC only sends screen updates to client only
> after corresponding pixels are changed on screen (ie in VGA memory).
> Am I correct?

This is only true for the native msWindows server side implementation:
There the vnc-server (the remote side) just grabs the contents of the
screen-memory and forwards that. Hence, the screen update of the session
can never be faster/better than the hardware. It's even worse: depending
on the way the screen-memory is grabbed, the screen update can be realy
slow.

To make it even worse: the hardware accelerated video display stuff does
not use the memory for the screen, it inserts the picture 'on the fly'.
Hence where the real display shows the movie, the vnc-session shows a
black square.

There are however vnc-server installations that are linked more to the
display-driver and might do a better job on some side.

>       I've got a PC whose VGA card is "ATI 3D RAGE IIC PCI".  On the
> screen, the response is quite good.  But when used in VNC, the
> response is horrible -- very slow.
>
>       Is there any plan to improve this part?  Eg using threads if
> that's not used already.

Try to find a vnc-server that is tailored to your display hardware.

On the other hand, using the current installation, twiggle a little with
the way the screen is updated/captured/refreshed.

Success
CBee