shift key doesn't work

I am connecting to Ubuntu from both windows xp & windows 7, using tight vnc
on Linux and vnc 4 free edition on windows.  Here's what is happening,  I
establish a connection using putty and start my vnc server, everything is
fine at this point. When I connect using vnc to get my gui, my shift no
longer works on any keys. No new software has been installed other than
updates on the windows and Linux machines.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated. It was working up until a few days ago.

Thanks in advance

Glen