Re: VNC viewer and cd/thumb/flash/usb drive

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Seak, Teng-Fong wrote:

Mike Miller wrote:

The reason I am interested in this is that some friends in another department have a very heavy-handed IT staff that won't allow them to install any programs. I'm wondering if there is no way around this restriction.

Yes, HKEY_CURRENT_USER is just a pointer to some other subtree but this subtree is well defined and in principal accessible (writable) to current user.

I haven't seen any computer where this area is forbidden. Nevertheless, I don't see the necessity to speculate so many things. VNC viewer is just an executable. Tell your friend to run vncviewer.exe and if it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Sure, those two people can run that test on their computers and that would answer the question for them. It would be better though if someone on this list could tell us if it is impossible to block use of VNCviewer on Windows XP through the usual Microsoft schemes for controlling software installation and execution.

Mike