Re: VNC viewer and cd/thumb/flash/usb drive

Mike Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Seak, Teng-Fong wrote:
>>    It's written to this area:
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RealVNC\VNCViewer4
> According to Microsoft...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/51211.mspx?mfr=true
>

> "A new HKEY_CURRENT_USER subtree is created each time a user logs on."
>
> But the VNCviewer stores information more permanently.  For example,
> it remembers where I have previously connected.  So it must at least
> try to create other registry keys.
>
> Also according to Microsoft:
>
> "The HKEY_CURRENT_USER subtree does not contain any data. It just
> stores a pointer to the content of..."
>
> So if something is stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER it is also being
> written somewhere else.
>
> The reason I am interested in this is that some friends in another
> department have a very heavy-handed IT staff that won't allow them to
> install any programs.  I'm wondering if there is no way around this
> restriction.

    Yes, HKEY_CURRENT_USER is just a pointer to some other subtree but
this subtree is well defined and in principal accessible (writable) to
current user.

    I haven't seen any computer where this area is forbidden.
Nevertheless, I don't see the necessity to speculate so many things.
VNC viewer is just an executable.  Tell your friend to run vncviewer.exe
and if it works, it works.  If it doesn't, it doesn't.