[VLAN] Pregunta sobre vlans in english

Hello,

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 04:56:58PM -0500, opincay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello....I am a student of the one university in Ecuador,
>
> I want know about the communication between vlans....
> I have:
> -1 switch catalyst 2950
> -1 pc with RH fedora core 3 for make the communication as if was a router
> -2 vlans configurated in the switch
>
> what is the best way? with the comand [vconfig], or with the program
> [zebra] in the fedora system and what do I do?

vconfig is the right tool to use for configuring VLANs in Linux.

zebra is useful when your router will be connected to several other
routers. One or more of these connections may be over VLANs, and then
you would have to use both vconfig and zebra.

The vconfig and ifconfig commands you wrote in the original post look
just right, the only other thing to keep in mind is that you'll need
to enable routing, or forwarding as it is called in Linux.

sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

or

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

I prefer the former. Modern distributions usually have
/etc/sysctl.conf for sysctl settings too.

> I dont know english too much, forgive me for the errors and
> THANK YOU VERY MUCH BY HIS TO HELP US,
> GRACIAS POR SU COLABORACION

At least now I understand what you want to do. :)

You could check out an old post of mine to see if you can use any
ideas: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?m=105098558615614

Setup 1a looks like what you want, but if you want to use dhcpd as in
the example, you'll have to run

vconfig set_flag eth1.2 1 1
vconfig set_flag eth1.3 1 1

before starting dhcpd. Also note that the example uses the old sysctl
setting..

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 11:09:47AM +0000, Alex Zeffertt wrote:

> To create a vlan device on VID 10,
>
> 1. Put the details into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.10
>    (same format as ifcfg-eth0)  (*)
>
> 2. Run "ifup eth0"

If this doesn't work, try "ifup eth0.10" instead, but I'm not a Red
Hat expert.

//Peter