Re: Saving YUVY image from V4L2 buffer to file

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Charlie X. Liu <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Do most of Webcams have no RGB support? I'm not experienced on that. Does
> anybody know the percentage of RGB support by Webcams?

Well, the V4L interface doesn't make the distinction between webcams
and other analog capture devices.  That said, webcams do tend to
provide some variant of RGB (and in a number of cases it uses
proprietary formats that include compression that must be handled in
userland).  So there are different formats that would all be
considered some form of RGB.

Other capture devices, such as tuners and home movie converters tend to use YUV.

So, if you're looking to write a simple app for internal use to work
with a particular webcam, you can disregard the above.  But if you are
trying to write a generic capture application that is expected to work
with many products, then you need to take into consideration all the
different formats that can be used.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs