Re: Is there any working video capture card which works and is still made?

Devin Heitmueller wrote:
On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Bill Davidsen<davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a lovely collection of capture cards which either don't work or are
no longer available new. Is there any such card?

Note: I can't tell a client to buy hardware on eBay, or to patch a kernel,
or commit to providing patched kernel... and we're in Time-Warned land,
where the signal is a mix of clear digital, crypto-digital, and NTSC. I
*can* tell someone to spend money to get something supported, which they
could buy in some small quantity.

I would be happy with a box like the HDhomerun, which does a nice job on the
tiny list of clear digital signals, the Hauppauge HVR-2250 is ideal, but
doesn't work because the driver isn't in the kernel and the windows stuff
doesn't run on ndiswrapper (too complex to support anyway).

Any thoughts, or is it just not currently happening?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

"You are disgraced professional losers. And by the way, give us our money
back."
  - Representative Earl Pomeroy,  Democrat of North Dakota
on the A.I.G. executives who were paid bonuses  after a federal bailout.

There are lots of cards that work.  The big questions lie in what bus
type you need (USB/PCI/PCIe), and what featureset (ATSC, ClearQAM,
analog, IR, etc.)

Though I covered that, the signal of interest is clear QAM and NTSC (analog). I haven't seem any cards for busses other than PCI or PCIe, USB is only on a dongle (AFAIK). If I could pass access to the bus back to a VM I could just run XP under KVM, but that's not exactly supported, either.

I was hoping someone would pop up with a solution like a dual mode HDhomerun or slingshot, too much to hope.

Might also be nice what your large collection is composed of, since we
might be able to get some of them to work.

Nothing with a driver, unfortunately, and much of it obsolete by this time, ie. driver now but out of production. When the FCC stopped approving non-digital cards a lot of stuff went off the market. I'd go with a mix of analog card and HDhomerun if I had to.