Re: A patch got applied to v4l bypassing v4l lists

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> > On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Paul Mundt wrote:
> >
> > > It should not cause extra work at all. The only time it may cause extra
> > > work is if you are talking about splitting up the patch and pulling in
> > > the v4l specific parts in to your v4l tree. My point is that this is
> > > absolutely the wrong thing to do, since the changes are tied together for
> > > a reason.
>
> Not sure why, buy your replies didn't arrive at the ML. Anyway, from my side,
> it is ok to tie the v4l and sh changes together and commit it via either sh or
> v4l tree, provided that the patch won't break bisect.
>
> Yet, it is nice if you can c/c us on such patches, in order to help to avoid
> future merge conflicts (since, otherwise, development may be done using the
> previous version). Otherwise, I'll backport the patch into the development tree
> only after reaching Linus tree.
>
> A side note: maybe the design of pxa_camera could be improved to avoid needing
> to be touched as architecture changes. This is the only v4l driver that includes
> asm/arch header files.

The patch in question was for sh_mobile_ceu_camera.c - not for pxa, and
even though that one doesn't include any asm headers, as you see, it is
also tied pretty closely with respective platform code.

As for including asm headers in pxa_camera.c - it wouldn't be easy to get
rid of them, one of the main obstacles is the use of the pxa-specific
dma-channel handling API.

Thanks
Guennadi
---