Re: Filesystem hierachy standard patch needs review.

On 09.04.2012 15:18, Udo Richter wrote:
Am 09.04.2012 11:54, schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
However, there is one thing in the current behavior that I would even
consider a bug: if one starts VDR with

   vdr -v /mydir

it uses /mydir as the video directory, but still uses /video for the
configuration files. I believe that as long as there is no explicit
-c option given, the config directory should follow what's given in
the -v option.

You're sure about -c following -v? It worked that way until 1.5.8, but
has been dropped in favor of the final changes regarding CONFDIR in
1.5.11. I don't see any reason to change that. Or did you mess up
--config with --cachedir? Happened to me too.

I surely didn't mean --cachedir because my VDR doesn't have that option (yet) ;-).
A while ago I ran a test and wanted to use a different video directory,
so I started VDR with the -v option. I was surprised to see that it still
loaded the config files from the default /video directory.

In the latter case:
In my patch, the cacheDirectory follows the VideoDirectory, even if the
latter is set by --video, but only as long as CACHEDIR is un-set. (Same
applies to --config and RESDIR.)

I'm not sure whether this should also be the case if VDR is compiled to
be FHS compliant. In that case users should know about the various
folders, and setting a --video directory should not have precedence over
CACHEDIR=/var/lib/vdr. The only thing I could think of is to check
whether CACHEDIR==VIDEODIR, and only then let cacheDirectory follow
--video, but I would prefer to not use such hacks.

Currently VDR has only two directories, 'video' and 'config'.
The idea is that by default the video directory is /video, and
the config directory is the same. If -v is given, this changes the
video directory, and since config follows video (or at least is supposed to),
the config files will be loaded from the new video directory. Only
if there is an explicit -c option shall the config directory be
different from the video directory.

I'd like to see a similar mechanism for the two new directories
'cache' and 'resource'. By default they follow 'config' and can only
be different if the respective options are given.
The default values for 'cache' and 'resource' shall be empty, in which
case they follow 'config'. If VDR is compiled with non-empty values
for 'cache' and/or 'resource', simply let them no longer follow 'config'
(same behavior as if a command line option has been given).

Don't know whether the patch already behaves this way (haven't checked),
but that's the way it should be.

Klaus