subscribing problem

I had problems subscribing to the new list at vger.kernel.org.  My mail
would just sit in the mail queue on my mail server until it timed out
after 15 minutes.  Then it was returned to me as undeliverable.  The
reason stated was a greylist policy.  I went to their website to the link
provided and was not really instructed what the particular problem was.

My mail does authenticate through my server.  My mail server is properly
configured, even by AOL standards and whitelisted with AOL as well.

I was able to finally get the subscribe and confirmation through but it
took me almost an hour just to get two messages through.  When these
worked they were accepted in seconds.

Anyone know what greylisting policy is looking at in the mail messages? And
why it would work sometimes and fail others?

Thanks,
James