Re: Problem with BF531 and ISP1362 (linux 2.6.19.3)

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Patrik Sevallius wrote:

> On 10/9/07, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Patrik Johansson wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a board with a BF531 and a ISP1362. I'm getting timouts when
> > > doing device enumeration on certail devices. Most devices work fine, but
> > > I have a couple who times out when asking for string descriptors, and
> > > now one device that times out on SET_ADDRESS. I was able to get the
> > > devices that times out on string descriptors to work by disabling some
> > > code in drivers/usb/core/hub.c
> > >
> > > I welcome any ideas and pointers towards fixing this issue. What
> > > information can I provide to help solve this?
> > >
> > > Btw, the device works perfectly on my desktop computer.
> > >
> > > One weird "coincidence" is that all the devices where asking for string
> > > descriptors results in timeouts are devices using the MTP protocol (some
> > > of the support normal USB-storage as well).  The device that times out
> > > on SET_ADDRESS is a Muvid MP-521.
> >
> > If you can build kernels with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG set on both the board
> > and the desktop computer, then there might be some useful information
> > in the dmesg logs of the two machines.  It would at least be
> > interesting to compare them.
>
> At the moment I don't have access to the machines in question (it's a
> customers hardware). But I did get some logs with some of the
> debugging in isp1362-hcd.c set. I have two logs, one for a working
> device and one for a non-working. I'll see if I can attach them (I
> tried earlier but the mail just bounced saying it was filtered out).
>
> cowon.txt.gz is a log from a Cowon D2, a working device.
> muvid.txt.gz is a log from the Muvid MP-521.
>
> From what i can tell from the logs, there's supposed to be an
> interrupt where there is a khubd error "usb 1-2: khubd timed out on
> ep0out len=0/0". That's the confusing bit, it works fine with so many
> other devices. I tried increasing the timeout (it was 5 seconds) to
> 50, but still no interrupt.
>
> I'll try getting the logs you asked for from the client as soon as possible.

It could be the problem is in the Muvid device rather than the isp1362.
Or maybe the two of them are slightly incompatible with each other,
while still being close enough to spec that they work with other
devices or controllers.

I don't know anything about how the isp1362 works, so I can't make much
sense of the log files you sent.  You could try asking for help from
the people who wrote the driver.

Alan Stern