Re: usb-storage and Motorola Z6

See:   http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb-users&m=118859379130423&w=2

> > Evidently the phone didn't report that the micro-SD card was present.
> > Otherwise you would have seen log entries describing the number of
> > sectors and the write-protect status.
> >

> Well, the second device, that I may mount as /dev/sdb, is the micro-SD
> card, so some presence must be detected.

I guess so, but it didn't happen in the portion of the log you included
in your earlier message.

> >> Well, I would have expected that they have similar methods to
> >> connect, even though different Linux kernel version of course may
> >> have introduced some differences. My A780 has a 2.4.20 kernel and I
> >> wouldn't be surprised if other Motorola mobiles also use the 2.4.*
> >> series of Linux kernels.
> >>

> > Not at all -- the methods used for connecting are _completely_
> > different, because the phone connects as a peripheral whereas the
> > kernel expects to connect as a host.
> >

> OK, but with my poor knowledge about how devices connect in the USB
> world, I would still have expected that handshake procedures both on
> host and client side would be known to the other side when the main
> software, ie. the OS on both sides, are the same or similar.

What do you mean?  Of course these procedures are all standardized, so
they are well known to everybody.  That doesn't mean everybody
implements them correctly.

> So are you
> saying that it is a utility on the client side (the mobile phone) that
> is made as a totally independent application?

I didn't say that.  I have no idea how Motorola chose to implement
their client-side USB software.  It might be an application or it might
be part of their kernel.

> Again, I am surprised why
> Motorola would do that when working software already exists?

What working software are you referring to?

Alan Stern