usbserial device speed?

Hello,

I am using a Huawei E220 mobile modem (3G/HSDPA, USB2) with Debian Etch,
kernel 2.6.18.

I have set it up as a usbserial device (I have to  do a "modprobe
usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003"). In pppd's configuration I use a
speed of 460800 and the device name is dev/ttyUSB0.

The modem works fine but the speed seems limited to about 460 kbps, even
though under Windows (with the driver that was supplied by the provider,
Three Ireland) I get about a megabit/s.

I tried putting in 921600 as the speed but then pppd fails sometimes, and
when it succeeds the speed is no gtreater than with the usual setting of
460800.

Is there any way to increase the communication speed? If so, what is it?

Or perhaps I should build the 2.6.20 kernel and use the "option" driver
instead?

Thanks!

Yours, Michael Ramendik