Re: kernel BUG at gzip.c:3334! (2.4.23-ck1 etc)

Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Jorge Nerin <jnerin@svalero.es> wrote:

Hello, I was testing the value of "2" in /proc/sys/net/tux/compression when I found that:

Feb 24 15:17:56 head kernel: deflate in loop returned -5
Feb 24 15:17:56 head kernel: kernel BUG at gzip.c:3334!

i've uploaded a new Tux patch to:

	redhat.com/~mingo/TUX-patches/tux3-2.6.3-B2

i've fixed all bugs in the gzip code i could find: made it use the 2.6
kernel's deflate library, and fixed a couple of bad assumptions. Memory
consumption should be lower as well, since now deflate state is
per-Tux-thread, not per-request. I've added the gzip fix from Miles Elam
as well.

i've done light testing with compression=2, but YMMV - does it work for
you?

i suspect the compression level should be configurable as well. Right
now it's hardcoded to level 6 - what level would be the best?

(this patch includes some more fixes as well - eg. stack footprint
reduction for CGIs.).

	Ingo
I still can't upgrade to 2.6, this box has a beta redhat 6.9.5 heavily tweaked and I can't seem to find the time to upgrade to 2.6 (the glibc threads upgrade scares me), if you can make a patch to 2.4 I will try it.

About the compression level, the easy answer is to make it a configurable value, either at compile time, or better like a proc entry, but I find that 6 is a good answer, althougth the cvs folks always recomends 3.

--
Jorge Nerin
<coma@redvip.homelinux.net>

[Index of Archives]     [Apache Users]     [Fedora Desktop]     [ATA RAID]     [Fedora Marketing]     [Fedora Mentors]     [Fedora Packaging]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Yosemite News]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Docs]