Re: Extended copy (LID1) parameter list ASC/ASCQ code on wrong parameter

On Mon, 2013-10-07 at 17:51 -0400, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> On 13-10-07 05:00 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> > On Sun, 2013-10-06 at 20:03 +0200, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> >> Hello Nab,
> >> Doug (on CC) asked me to try ddpt[1] on the target code and it failed
> >> because list_id was 1. The linux target code expects it to be 0. Doug
> >> did not like the sense code sent back:

<SNIP>

> >> * Douglas Gilbert <dgilbert@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2013-10-06 19:37]:
> >
> > Fixing that up now, and will send out a patch shortly.

> > Mmmm, that one is going to take alot more effort to implement, as we've
> > not a way currently to propagate up this value separate from
> > sense_reason_t.
>
> The b) can be considered as optional; "good to have".
> I think Seagate do it in their SCSI disks (SAS, FC).
>
>  From the application client point of view, with something
> like the EXTENDED_COPY parameter list, there are a lot
> of fields to choose from.
>

> And the list_id, the target implementation only seems
> to accept 0. Hannes Reinecke defaulted that to 1 and
> I guess he had a good reason. Looking at spc4r36j.pdf
> list_id==0 has a special meaning in one context (i.e.
> when list_id_usage==3). I can understand the target
> not accepting overlapping XCOPYs but why constrain
> the application client to only use list_id 0?

The assumption was that application clients receiving OPERATING
PARAMETERS w/ SNLID=1 would know to only send list_id = 0 with
list_id_usage = 11b.  This assumption appears to have been
incorrect.  ;)

So I'm fine with accepting non zero ListIDs when reporting SNLID=1, as
long as there is no hard requirement on the copy server for tracking +
rejecting already in use ListIDs when processing list_id_usage != 11b,
while reporting SNLID=1.

--nab