Manipulating Forwards on an existing shell

Hey,

Is there any way at all to manipulate local forwards on an existing
shell? I basically have a script which I run to setup a bunch of port
forwards to create a pseudo-VPN. It's much stabler through SSH than it
is through our PPTP VPN. So it would be nice to create a zenity script
to setup instant forwards without having to first close SSH and reopen
it. To establish the connection takes quite long due to the
authentication, where creating a new forward is almost instantaneous.
Further I will also not loose my existing connections.

My SSH version: OpenSSH_4.7p1 Debian-8ubuntu1.2, OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007

It doesn't really matter if the only way to do it is dirty, because
I'm not really aiming at portability. It's mostly only for me to use
on my home machines.

Quintin Beukes