Search squid archive

Re: Block VPN access like hola.org ,ultrasurf

AFAIK,

every proxy admin faced with excessively smart users who want to bypass a proxy. If you think that this is not true in your case - it means you not know yet. While you suffer prince Hamlet's ethical dilemma - "To bump or not to bump - that is a serious matter", your smart-ass users will shamelessly use every possible tools and methods to step over you and wipe they feet on the your proxy.

I am deeply sorry for you, but to solve this problem by means of a Squid is not possible. It is necessary to take into account the existence of Tor, VPN, URL shorteners, Google Translate (Yea, it also uses for bypassing proxy!), SOCKS, http/https anonymizers etc. This is not easy and not simple. This battle occurs every day.

I deliberately do not mention really advanced techniques of hiding one type of traffic inside the other and another hacker's tools. VPN is a strong, but not the last tool to ignore the proxy server if it does not exist at all. And you can be sure your users will not miss them.

And in the fight against shield and sword sword usually wins.

Only a proxy in this issue is not worth little or nothing. Only trained administrator with experienced network administrator and two pairs bodied brain can more or less hinder the  life of these smart-ass users.

This day-by-day battle is significant part of IT security, which is not product, but process.

Hard luck,
                 Yuri