Search squid archive

Re: Inject some html with transparent squid

On 17/03/2014 12:42 a.m., xan wrote:
> Goodmorning, I'm new in the forum.
> I'm a software engineer but I'm new to networking
> I have installed squid3 on a virtual machine running ubuntu server. I have
> configured the squid.conf to redirect the clients to a specified page with
> the deny_info parameter. Now i would to inject some HTML on a page after
> some times (eg. 5 mins). I have googling this question and I found this
> http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html that isn't what I
> really want to do, but it's a first step.
> However, I cannot get it to run.
> So the question is: is there a way to run some php code in squid3? And in
> which way? I need a redirector such as squirm?
> Thanks in advance for every answer.

Not directly because Squid is a proxy server, not a web server.

Content alteration can be done indirectly with ICAP or eCAP content
adapters. But should NOT be done without great care. The redirect you
have going already is the legal way to do notifications, adverts etc.
regardless of situation and is usually acceptable to users.

It is a very bad idea to alter copyright protected content without the
owners permission. Before going further you had best consult a laywer
about Copyright and Trademark infringement if you are being pressed by
management.

Some due diligence from thse who tried before you:
 http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Cable-Operator-CMA-Injects-Their-Ads-Into-Web-Content-123731
 http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/NY-Marriott-Stops-WiFi-JavaScript-Ad-Injection-119189
 http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Mediacom-Ad-Injection-Was-Popup-Test-Gone-Wrong-113070
 http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/90134

The instant you start altering content it ceases being a transparent
proxy and starts being an MITM attack
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting).

Amos