Search squid archive

Re: Pinning objects in Squid Cache

Hi Amos,

The objects that we are trying to cache are video files. We want to cache these videos for a particular time frame and insure that they are not evicted from cache during this time frame.

We had already thought of the second option to fetch the objects at regular intervals so that they are always at the head of the queue in cache, but it doesn't seem to be very scalable as we can have 100s of videos which the client might want to pin to cache.

I wanted to know if there is any modification that can be done in squid to support pinning of objects.

Thanks,
Aditya

On Thursday, 13 March 2014 3:05 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 13/03/2014 9:22 p.m., aditya agarwal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know if there is a way to PIN certain objects in Squid's
> cache, so that they are not removed or subjected to eviction because
> of the LRU policy running in squid.
>
> Thanks, Aditya

That depends on what the objects are ... so "what exactly are you trying
to achieve?"

Meanwhile ... objects locally served up by Squid using the
/squid-internal-static/ well-known URL path prefix have it. Such things
as icons for the error pages and FTP directory listings.
See the mime.conf file installed with your Squid on how to configure
those URL objects.

However, if you are wanting this for arbitrary objects served up elsewhere:

* the best way is not to bother.
Cache is a _temporary_ storage area (a type of buffer) not a long term
archive. Correctly following HTTPP protocol ensures up to date reliable
content at all times.

* the second-best way is to simply poll your proxy with a request for
it before the replacement policy removes it. This works on the same
principle as prefetching and has all the same problems with generating
correct client headers.

Amos