Search squid archive

Re: question about large rock

On 01/27/2014 05:26 AM, k simon wrote:

>   I noticed large rock have merged to squid 3.5, I have some question
> about your large rock patch.

Hello Simon,

> 1,Does large rock support non-SMP instance?

Yes. Rock store can be used in non-SMP mode (as defined at [1]). Rock
store uses blocking disk I/O in non-SMP mode.

Please note that if your Squid is SMP-capable (e.g., atomics are
supported) and SMP is allowed (e.g., no -N), then Squid will start one
disker process per Rock cache_dir and, hence, will use SMP mode, even if
you have a single worker.

> I know the rock store must used with worker.

Not sure what you mean. Squid cannot work without a worker. Diskers are
not required for Rock store. Without diskers, the performance should be
significantly worse though because blocking disk I/O will block the
entire worker process. For SMP terminology, please see [1].

> 2,Does large rock solve rebuilding time too long issue?

Current large rock has about the same cache index building time as small
rock. Whether that time is "too long" depends on many factors, but we
have not optimized anything in that area (yet).

> 3,Can large rock support range splice?

I do not think Squid itself supports range splicing. If Squid supports
them, Rock store should support them as well.

HTH,

Alex.
[1] http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SmpScale