Search squid archive

Re: load tpoxy wccp on multiple interfaces by smp ?

Amos Jeffries-2 wrote
> On 3/11/2013 5:22 p.m., Dr.x wrote:
>> hi ,
>>
>> its just an updating idea ,
>> we have 6000 users and we have 96 G ram and 24 CPU cores and DELR720
>> hardware ,
>> actually i want to use smp and want to handle them by squid
>> Q1-from the user experience who tried squid smp , can my hardware handle
>> the
>> 6000 users ????
>
> No. It can handle some amount of requests/sec and traffic/sec. But
> "users" is not related to proxy capacity.
>
> 6000 users doing 1 req/day, even the footstool under my desk can handle
> that load.
> 6000 users doing ~150 req/sec each concurrently, you need a monster
> amount of CPU to handle that load.

hi amos , regarding to the answer "no "

currently , i have a squid server without smp that handle 2500 users and
without slowness , with caching  and ,with acl web filtering.

and it only dissipating a few cores in my cpu !!!!

here is a print screen of my DELR720 server which handle wt i said above :
<http://squid-web-proxy-cache.1019090.n4.nabble.com/file/n4663110/584988478.png>

although i made a snapshot in time not considered as rush hour , but u can
indicate that only about 5  core cpus from about 24 cores is running and the
others always  idle !!!1

the question is why it cant ????

as we know , squid cant use  all cores without smp  , but in my opinion , if
server without smp could handle 2500 users , it must handle at least 5000
users with smp

plz clarify !

regards

-----