Search squid archive

Re: Does Changing Cache_dir location require a "Rebuild" of the cache?

In my case, being the command to restart squid is "sudo service squid3
restart",
I ran
squid3 -z

It looks like I had to STOP squid3 from running before it would take it.

Just to be clear, even though I "SEE" the directories in the 4 cache
locations I STILL should run the -z command?
Is that because there is more to the -z command than just the creation of
the file sturcture?
Is it indexing the current cached files that are there too?

I saved one download, and it looked like it created the structure the first
time I did that.

Now running the squid3 -z command this is what the system said:

> Creating Swap Directories
> /var/spool/squid3_cache_1 exists
> /var/spool/squid3_cache_1/00 exists
> Making directories in /var/spool/squid3_cache_1/00
> /var/spool/squid3_cache_1/01 exists
> Making directories in /var/spool/squid3_cache_1/01
> /var/spool/squid3_cache_1/02 exists
> Making directories in /var/spool/squid3_cache_1/02
> etc, etc, etc

. . . so was it doing something more than what was already there?  I am not
sure just how to read this. Thanks