Search squid archive

Re: Forcing Windows Automatic Updates to us Proxy - Question about FAQ

On 21/08/2013 1:36 p.m., Helmut Hullen wrote:
Hallo, HillTopsGM,

Du meintest am 20.08.13:

At the end of this FAQ page:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate
<http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate>
they give some windows command prompt commands.
Do these apply to all of the windows versions like Vista Windows 7
and now 8 as well?
Or do you run them only if you have an issue?
Thanks for the help.
(Start of The Windows Commands)
C:\>> proxycfg
# gives information about the current connection type. Note: 'Direct
Connection' does not force WU to bypass proxy
C:\>> proxycfg -d
# Set Direct Connection
C:\>> proxycfg -p wu-proxy.lan:8080
# Set Proxy to use with Windows Update to wu-proxy.lan, port 8080
c:\>> proxycfg -u
# Set proxy to Internet Explorer settings.
(End of The Windows Commands)
If I have understood the system (I'm not sure):

a new system always tells "Direct connection",

         proxycfg -u

copies the HKCU entry to HKLM, and then "proxycfg" tells the entries you
had defined for some special user for all users ("system wide").

It also does some magic with the IE settings for older WinSock versions and some obsolete networking APIs in Windows. I'm not sure myself whether those old subsystems still exit since MS reportedly purged a lot of APIs on Vista and 7. If you find any software not obeying the IE settings they are worth a try.

Amos