Search squid archive

Re: parent request order

On 06/19/2013 09:02 AM, T Ls wrote:
Hi,

we are using squid (S_{1,2,3}) to connect our sites to the internet via parent proxies (P_{1,2}), there is no direct line to the internet. The constellation looks something like this:
   (P_1)     (P_2)
     |        / \
  /-----------------\
  |  | W A N |   |  |
  \-----------------/
     |       /   \
   (S_1)  (S_2) (S_3)
     |      |     |
   (N_1)  (N_2) (N_3)

the mapping S_i <=> P_j is fix and I can't change it. In S_1 config, I have the line:

cache_peer P_1 parent 80 0 no-query default

If one parent fails (e.g. P_1), we force all clients in N_1 to use S_2 (by AD policy). This procedure works, but there are two major drawbacks:
a) we have to make this switching manually (and also the swich back, after P_1 recovers)
b) S_2 has to handle N_1+N_2 traffic

What I want to do is:
a) switch to alternative parents automatically
b) in case of P_1-failure: distribute N_1-traffic over S_2 and S_3
c) in normal operation send all requests to P_1 and no requests to S_2 or S_3

wpad does a good job.
I am not sure how it balances but the failover works fine.

Marcus

Because of c), I can't declare S_{2,3} as sibling (as far as I understand the function of a sibling and the peer selection methodes), so I changed the S_1 config to:
cache_peer P_1 parent 80 0 no-query
cache_peer S_2 parent 80 0 no-query
cache_peer S_3 parent 80 0 no-query

I think, this fits to a) and b) (because a client request is send to FIRST_UP_PARENT), but this will not fit to c) perfectly (may be S_2 is FIRST_UP_PARENT, but it still has to fetch the data from
P_2, so the data for N_1 passes the line of S_2 two times and this should not happen).

Can basetime=x at the P_1-line make sure, that P_1 is always choosen in normal operation?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
Thomas