Search squid archive

Re: StoreID and concurrency?

On 1/06/2013 1:31 a.m., csn233 wrote:
I seem to be getting the occasional problem when running the same
Youtube video at the same time on multiple browsers with the StoreID
feature. If I don't run them at the same time, no problems and I see a
nice caching (HIT) effect.

The error basically is "an error occurred..." on the player window.
I'm wondering if there is some sort of concurrency issue,
somewhere...?

StoreID is fairly new and slightly experimental. It is modelled on Store-URL and fixes many of the bugs there, but is not a clone of that code so new bugs and behaviour can be expected (thus its not in the stable series yet).

The way StoreID works presently is that it *only* alters the caching index key used by Squid internally to identify the download. Two URLs which are de-duplicated into one StoreID value are expected to behave exactly as if two clients were actually asking for the same URL. Also, Squid-3 does not at this time contain the collapsed-forwarding feature which was present in squid-2.7. Which means until one of the client downloads is completed any other client fetches will be MISS. This MISS behaviour is true regardless of StoreID usage.

We will need a lot more information about what your Squid is doing and what the errors are exactly (not basically... *exactly*) and where they are coming from before any of your questions can be answered. A side by side comparison of what behaviour your proxy has when StoreID is used and when it is not will probably also be useful in figuring it out.

Amos