Search squid archive

Re: adobe updates constantly re-downloading

On 29/05/2013 10:33 p.m., Marko Cupać wrote:
On Wed, 29 May 2013 21:08:58 +1200
Amos Jeffries <squid3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 29/05/2013 7:18 p.m., Marko Cupać wrote:
On Wed, 15 May 2013 21:36:51 +0800
csn233 <csn233@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Have you tried commenting out range_offset_limit and quick_abort_min?
Sorry for my late reply. In the meantime i upgraded to squid-3.3.4_1,
which did not solve the problem. But then I remembered your suggestion,
and removed range_offset_limit and quick_abort_min. Updates from adobe
are now downloaded fine (no constant re-downloading without ever
finishing), but not cached.

It is not such a big problem as my uplinks are can handle those.
However, saving some bandwidth would be nice, so if someone knows how
to do it please send a line.
Do you have or able to get a copy of the request and reply headers
between Squid and the Adobe servers for these transactions. That will
help determine what Squid is doing or able to do with them.

In 3.3 you can set "debug_options 11,2" to obtain a cache.log trace of
the HTTP headers going through Squid. (may produce big logs on a busy
proxy).

Amos
I turned it on for a few minutes and completed download. Then, after
some time I repeated it just to check if it was cached, but it was
not.
Log is really huge so I am sending just relevant parts (the ones
related to adobe).

That seems fine for now.

What I can see in there is two types of request going through.
1) requests for .../message.zip which is a short lifetime object
- its cacheable, but appears to be cached by the client browser and Squid is just left with relaying the tiny REFRESH transactions back and forward. Which is fine.

2) requests for a .exe which is the large 33MB update.
- from the headers it looks completely cacheable which means a bug or config problem somewhere in Squid preventing the response being cached. Looks like an audit of the cacheability and age code is in order to figure this one out better. :-(

Amos