Search squid archive

Re: Slow down connexion for IP making a lot of hits

On Wednesday 15 May 2013 at 10:55:16, C. Pelissier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can squid slow down clients (Browsers) making a lot of hits (over
> 100 000 hits per day) by staying connected all day and night to web
> sites doing page refresh up to 30 per minute (increasing also the size
> of access_log) ?

You might find this easier to achieve with IPtables rules than Squid:

You'd want to restrict connections to your Squid port (probably 3128) to be a
compromise between "lots in a few seconds" to allow for normal browser
parallel accesses, and "lots and lots over several minutes" to block the
accesses you say are continually refreshing.

> Same question if download is over 20 Gb per day.
>
> delay_pools seems to solve this problem with static IP ACL. I wish to
> reduce bandwith automaticaly and only for IP abusing networks ressources
> and give
> again full bandwith when request decreases.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Behind the counter a boy with a shaven head stared vacantly into space,
a dozen spikes of microsoft protruding from the socket behind his ear.

 - William Gibson, Neuromancer (1984)

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.