Search squid archive

Re: reply body max size: crash or not?

On 29/03/2012 6:21 p.m., Tianyin Xu wrote:
Hi, all,

I'm new to Squid proxy server, and I'm learning to do admin jobs
related to Squid.

I have a question on the "reply_body_max_size" directive. From the
manual, I notice that:

WARNING: A maximum size smaller than the size of squid's error message
          will cause an infinite loop and crash squid. Ensure that the smallest
          non-zero value you use is greater that the maximum header size plus
          the size of your largest error page.

To see the consequence of setting a too small configuration values, I set

reply_body_max_size 1 bytes

in the squid.conf, start squid, and then use my browser to access
webpage like Google and Facebook. But it seems that there's no
infinite loop or system crash. The system behavior is really correct
that reject all these access. So is this an already fixed problem (the
manual is out-of-date) so that I don't need to worry? Or it's still
possible to cause the crash?

IIRC it has been fixed. But may still show up on some older versions. The worst cases were where the "error" is an authentication challenge and that being blocked causes some nasty behaviours.

This is a limit on the response objects. Squid error pages are all just a few KB. So when setting a small limit which might affect them keep in mind all the web pages or scripts your users may need to load which are hundreds of KB.

Amos